The news gives the information around the world while sitting in your home. The news tells us about what is happening around the world in various fields like science, technology, politics, entertainment, economy, business, current affairs, crimes, employment, and whatnot. They tell us the real truth behind the events and incidents. They expose scams, false propaganda, corruption, crimes. They are probably vulnerable to attacks and the pressure to not disclosing the truth. Hence it is very important to protect the freedom of speech and freedom of the press. The world press freedom day or simple World Press Day is celebrated to achieve this purpose.
In this article, we have given you all the information about world press freedom day 2021 such as its date, theme, history, celebration ideas, activities, facts, quotes and slogans and how it is celebrated across the world and in India. This information will help you to write an essay, speech, paragraph on world press freedom day in your school. So let’s start.
World Press Freedom Day 2018 Information, Essay, Speech, Paragraph and Article
Introduction To Press Freedom and World Press Freedom Day
Freedom of the press refers to the right by which a journalist can express his opinion with the help of his investigation without any suppression of government. The world press freedom day(also known as world press day) is the international day declared by the United Nation General Assembly which is celebrated on May 3 annually. UNESCO(United Nation Educational Scientific And Cultural Organisation) has been playing a significant role in commemorating world press freedom day by gathering the professional media organizations together. Every year each conference is centred around a specific theme. Essay on Freedom of Speech Speech, Article
What Is Freedom Of Speech?
Freedom of speech is the right of an individual to speak in public without caring about government interference. However, in some circumstances, this right can be restricted due to hate speech or unlawful behaviour. Journalists and reporters sometimes face various kind of restrictions, but the authority has to be very careful before creating any resistance to their freedom because if they somehow constraints journalists freedom, it will affect everyone’s freedom of speech and expression.
History Of World Press Freedom Day
Back then in 1993, General Assembly of United Nations established world press freedom day in a seminar influencing an independent press in Africa. The seminar took place in Namibia in 1991 that led to the Windhoek declaration in which independence of media is highly promoted. The importance of Windhoek declaration was to establish a restriction-free press. Essay on Importance of Newspapers in our life
The celebration of world press day occurs on 3 May annually because this day, Windhoek declaration was also adopted. We can’t deny the fact that world press freedom day has been observed since 1993 but it’s also another fact that we have seen glimpses of such type of evolution in 1948 implying the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which states that each person has the right to freedom of expression or opinion.
Theme For World Press Freedom Day 2021: Keeping Power In Check
The upcoming theme for world press freedom day in 2018 was “Keeping Power In Check: Media, Justice and the Rule of Law” in which we deal with the justice, the rule of law and the media. It expresses the power of enabling a legal environment for the press, and it also supervises the role of independent judiciary ensuring the legal guarantees for the prosecution of crimes against journalists and press freedom. The theme also highlights the role of media in sustainable development and explore the outreach of information in the online zone. The theme for World Press Freedom Day 2020 was “Journalism without Fear or Favour”. Theme for 2021 is not announced yet.
Importance Of Press Freedom and World Press Freedom Day
Trevor Timm, the great co-founder and the executive director of the freedom of the press foundation states that ‘an independent press is one of the essential pillars of democracy.’ This statement is true as steel because, in a democratic country, we have fundamental rights like freedom of speech and expression.
World press freedom day ensures the protection of various journalists against attacks that are aimed to put down these journalists. This day is also a great way to salute those journalists who have lost their lives on duty. The most heart-winning characteristics of this event is that it keeps a check on the violations of press freedom across the globe.
Press Freedom Day 2021 In India
A large no. of journalists has been attacked each year in a democratic country like India. For a developing country like India, press freedom day becomes an important factor because it is essential for people to be aware of press freedom. The Indian government has contributed an excellent effort for the journalists. Both houses of the parliament have passed a law for the protection of on-duty journalists. On this day, Many government officers and civil servants salute prestigious no more journalists in their honour.
In the year 2017, PM of India Mr. Narendra Modi has also said that it’s essential in a democratic country like India. He said ‘In today’s age & date, social media has emerged as an active source of engagement & has added more vigour to press freedom.’ Mr. Narendra Modi also tweeted that ‘”World Press Freedom Day is a day to reiterate our unwavering support towards a free & vibrant press, which is vital in a democracy.” All of these messages show us the seriousness of India for journalism.
How People Celebrate World Press Freedom Day 2021? Celebration Ideas, Activities, Events
Journalists are the basic needs of every country and to prove that, this day is celebrated in distinct ways.
- Using the power of the internet. People write on their blogs to promote awareness and their opinions about a specific topic.
- People read a documentary about the fantastic
- In schools, teachers used to tell their students about the rights of a press.
- Some people temporarily become a journalist on social media because, in today’s era, everyone got a camera in their smartphones. People usually click images about the events and spread on social media to inform people using various hashtags like #pressfreedom #wpfd #worldpressfreedom etc.
- Many citizens of the nations attend events where they participate in debates to give their opinion on the current issues.
- A lot of journalists and students force their government by rallying, speaking in debates, and setting up movements for passing specific type of laws that help in giving freedom to press.
Some Interesting and Unkown Facts On World Press Freedom Day
- It’s true that every press day comes with new themes, but along with that, this event is hosted in different places. Upcoming world press freedom day in 2018 is going to be host in Ghana. Mr. Abdul-Hamid is going to host this event.
- The UNESCO created Guillermo Cano world prize freedom prize in 1997 honouring the Colombian journalist Guillermo Cano Isaza who was assassinated in 1986 by the influential drug dealers.
- Since 1992, almost 911 journalists have died for different reasons, and Iraq is on the top of the list.
- In places like Latin America, Mexico, Honduras, and Argentina we see the worst score in terms of freedom of expression.
Some Famous Quotes And Slogans About Freedom Of Speech
- We have freedom, but you got to watch what you say – Tracy Morgan
- First, they ignore you; then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win – Mahatma Gandhi
- Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those, we despise we do not believe in it at all. – Noam Chomsky
- People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use – Soren Kierkegaard
Journalists are just another aspect of a democratic country and to maintain peace and order it’s essential to gather confidential information about unusual activities. To collect data and unusual activities, a press is a potent weapon that keeps a check on all the violations. Without the freedom of expression, we see an unpleasant stain on democracy, so considering this; it becomes the responsibility of every nation and its civilians to honour and support their one of the most dominant arm.
I hope you find this article helpful. If yes, then please comment in the comment section below. Thank you. 🙂